Sunday, September 4, 2022

Week 2: "Why Isn't Learning Enjoyable Anymore?- How To Revive Your Curiosity" Video

Did the video say or present anything that clicked with you? Why?

    The video did say a bunch of relatable things that clicked with me because I feel like every student, it doesn't matter what grade they are, experiences not having joy in learning anymore. At the beginning of the video, the guy tells his personal experience about how in his elite science school there are many students that come into the school year excited to learn new things because of their curiosity, but then halfway through the school year, they become uninterested in the topic/what they were passionate about. I really related to this because in high school I was in the Medical Health Services Academy and I remember coming into my health classes excited to learn more about our body and its functions, but now I only focus on if I get a high enough grade or a passing grade on assignments like he mentioned in the video. I agree that the grading system is what takes the fun out of learning new things because that's the only thing you're worried about, you actually don't take the time to learn about things you were curious about, therefore losing your passion and what makes life interesting if you have no passions/interest to look forward to.


Do you consider yourself a curious person? What makes someone curious and another not?

    I believe I do consider myself a curious person because every other week I do try to look at some news network websites to see if there's any current news or articles that interest me that day. In high school, writing about current events was my favorite excitement because I could talk about and tell my opinion on something I was actually interested in. I think wanting to find more answers and being unsatisfied with one answer makes someone curious and if someone is just satisfied with one answer makes them not curious or they're not interested in other topics that overlap each other is what makes them not naturally curious. I also think focusing on a number/grade that dictates what you learn does not make you curious because you're kind of missing the point of learning something new.

What can you do to try to cultivate more curiosity in your life?

    I think what you can do to try to cultivate more curiosity in your life is like the video said, try to self-educate/ self-teach yourself as much as possible to try to revive that joy you get when you learn about something new that motivates you to learn about more stuff in our universe while focusing on the boring stuff that school gives you from their system by default. You act as if what you're learning in school is a stepping stone/ personal growth to becoming who you are as a unique person. So integrating self-education with regular school learning is beneficial for you in the long run because it incorporates curiosity, self-education, character building, social relationships, philosophical advice, self-health from psychology, etc. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jasmine. Your post's final paragraph caught my attention as I was reading it. The part where you indicated that most of our knowledge and curiosity comes through self-education and self-learning is something I absolutely identify with and understand. In my free time, I frequently find myself learning about subjects that are never covered in class. Even though studying and school does occupy the majority of my free time, I make an effort to educate myself on a variety of subjects so that I may better grasp concepts that are not covered in the classroom. I really believe that the only way we actually learn at school is if we put the knowledge we get there to use in our daily life.

    ReplyDelete

Week 11: Prejudice and Implicit Bias Test

    For this week's topic, we're talking about prejudice and bias. We watched a TED Talk featuring Dr. Paul Bloom again and he ment...